There is nothing better than coming home after a difficult day at work and relaxing on a couch watching TV. Or spending your weekend with friends enjoying a fresh TV series. However, sometimes you notice tv reception problems, which might cause missing a favorite show.
Some issues are rather easy to fix because they are caused by a broken cable, while others may take some time and knowledge. In this guide, we will discuss the most common problems which stand on your way to a great and entertaining evening.
A quick disclaimer: you can try a channel scan or a VPN for TV. It has many features and services. This VeePN is fast and affordable. And you can download it for free.
The TV doesn’t receive a signal
There may be multiple digital tv signal problems concerning a signal. When the antenna is installed, we recommend conducting a channel scan. Make sure that the input was changed to Antenna. When the scan is running, you will see several available channels. If there are still no channels available, try other measures.
Another reason why your TV tuner can’t catch the signal is that there are hills or trees between the broadcast tower and your receiver. In such a case, you can try and raise the antenna higher. This will help to make the reception stronger.
Unfortunately, sometimes the TV tuner is just broken and there is nothing you can do. In such a case, call the manager where you have bought the device and ask for a replacement and compensation.
Fortunately, a TV tuner is a stand-alone device and doesn’t impact any other part of the television.
One of the most common reasons for an absent signal is a bad connection between the antenna and the TV. If you are ready to try and fix this problem on your own, we recommend the so-called Cold Retune. Here is a step-by-step guide:
– Switch off the device. It may be a TV tuner, recorder, or another receiver;
– Reconnect the cables and make sure that they are connected correctly. Make sure that there are no loose cables because they may cause weak or absent signal. Those who have a signal booster can remove it and plug the antenna directly into the TV tuner;
– Wait a bit while overheated tools will cool down;
– Turn on the TV tuner or recorder box, as well as the TV set;
– Retune the device. The instructions on how to do it are usually indicated in the Settings.
If these steps don’t work, most likely, you have problems with the antenna. In such a case, it is better to call a specialist who will diagnose your antenna in place and fix it.
Limited access to certain apps and services
Most Smart TVs have multiple pre-installed apps, but some of them may not be available in your region. That is when you may experience digital television reception problems. Fortunately, this issue is easily solved in a matter of minutes.
You just need a VPN kill switch app. Here is a step-by-step guide:
– Choose a suitable VPN. You can pick a VPN no logging or another program of your choice;
– Search for this VPN in the Play Market and install the app;
– Log in and choose the necessary location. For example, to use BBC Player choose the UK and Netflix US – America;
– Open the app you are trying to access.
Voila, your problem is solved, but you should remember that a VPN should be reliable. If possible, choose a double app. What is a double VPN? It has two layers of encryption, and there is no need to worry that your data will be lost.
If you have a TV tuner, it is possible to install a VPN program that will protect your devices. However, this trick requires solid skills and following all the instructions. If not, you risk breaking the router.
Usually, VPN providers give instructions for different types of tuners. The good idea is to purchase a VPN router with built-in configurations. When using the kill switch app or another VPN, try to avoid the following mistakes:
– Don’t install Android products on a non-Android device;
– Don’t rely on DNS servers. Above we have already discussed what is a double VPN and now you know how beneficial they are;
– Contact a consultant if something goes wrong.
The picture is unclear, or there is snow on the screen
Remember the key rule: if you see snow, it means that you have an analog broadcast and not a digital signal. Having such a problem means that your television doesn’t have a built-in Advanced Television Systems Committee or simply an ATSC receiver.
If your television was bought not later than in 2007, there might not be a built-in tuner. To find out whether this is a case, read the TV’s description or reach a manufacturer. If there is one, it is possible to solve the problem by purchasing an external receiver to accept HDTV signals. Those who want top-notch picture quality should install a digital TV antenna.
When the picture of your TV turns green, and there are no sounds, it means that the antenna leads are not connected the way they should be. The green screen is also called the screen of death. If the antenna cable is improperly connected, the screen might show a variety of useless colors.
Here is what you should do in such a case:
– Switch off your TV or digital box and then check whether the antenna lead is located properly and in place. Usually, this step is enough to return the picture;
– If you have an older TV set and the picture is meaningless, there might be a problem with the CRT TV tube. But don’t rush to throw it away: let the specialists diagnose the problem and find a proper solution.
Some channels are gone
There’s nothing more annoying than missing a favorite show. Unfortunately, such things sometimes happen when the local transmitter holds maintenance works. And some channels might not be available. To solve the problem, we recommend the following steps:
– Retune the TV tuner or the TV set;
– Conduct a full reset of the device. There might be a TV crash which is solved by a regular reboot;
– If you are using a relay transmitter, be ready that there might not be as many channels available as with the main transmitter.
Another piece of advice is to contact the local broadcaster or visit their official website to check whether there are any announcements about maintenance works. However, usually, these works take place at night and are not long-lasting.
The above are only some of the reasons why you might have problems with the TV tuner. We have discussed regular approaches to fixing them, but there are still many variations depending on every particular situation.
Those who use analog TV should consider a digital one. Thus, the connection will be stronger, and the chances of experiencing data losses will be much lower. To ensure your safety, we also recommend a VPN no logging with extra layers of protection and data encryption.
If you don’t know how to fix the arising problem, it is always better to hire a specialist. Hopefully, this article was helpful, and now you can enjoy your favorite shows and movies without any interruptions.